How to Find Information Regarding My Real Estate Taxes

New homeowners occasionally get confused about real estate taxation. The big bureaucracies involved in assessing and imposing real estate taxation can bewilder even veteran homeowners. Article XIII-A of the California Constitution, also known as Proposition 13, requires properties to become re-assessed when sales occur. County tax officers evaluate deeds and ascertain what the new assessed or taxable value is. Tax assessor's offices have information about a home and its existing tax status. Some government sites allow homeowners to cover tax statements online.

Find closing papers for the property. Plot maps are included by some paperwork. Look for the 10-digit assessor's identification number–AIN–to the house in question. Write down the AIN number and the address of the real estate package.

Find an old tax bill in the event the closing paperwork doesn’t include parcel map information. The AIN amount is printed on the bill. Look for almost any charge or customer amounts that the tax assessor might require for identification. Write down all the information available.

Look up the parcel number on the internet. Use the website listed on the tax bill, or perform an internet search to locate the website of the assessor in the county where the land is situated. Look up the package information by typing in a speech, a known AIN amount or, for some sites, the last name of the current property owner.

Scan the county assessor's website, and be certain that the information posted on the property is correct. Some of these information typically listed on the website contains the square footage of the home, the amount of bedrooms and bathrooms, the lot size and the date constructed.

Click on links to tax information. Counties such as Los Angeles and San Francisco maintain search abilities for specific parcels. Enter the AIN amount or the address to obtain information about current and previous tax statements.

Call the number listed on the website to ask additional questions about previous assessments and incorrect information. Ask to talk with the proper department representative. Describe your queries and questions regarding the house, and if needed, make an appointment to go over the problem in person.

See related

Fromente Written by: