What exactly does it mean to be “green,” anyhow? The definition is constantly changing, and there’s always seems to be room for advancement. However, we’ve learned that you don’t have to go through a full remodel or spend a lot of money to create a difference.
We’ve gathered links to ten guides which describe some large and tiny changes that can be made in your own kitchen to create your home and life somewhat healthier, happier and kinder to our planet.
Buckminster Green LLC
Shopping for an Ecofriendly Kitchen
1. Countertops. Searching for a new kitchen countertop? Try going the green route this time. Selecting recycled, reclaimed or stained materials can help decrease your home’s carbon footprint.
Get the manual: Ecofriendly Materials: Kitchen Countertops
2. Appliances. Whether you’re buying the most recent Energy Star–rated appliance for a new kitchen or simply trying to determine how to work with a secondhand gas stove in an old one, here is how to choose ecofriendly appliances.
Get the manual: How to Choose and Use Ecofriendly Kitchen Appliances
Paul Davis Architects
3. Natural light. The right lightbulb can help you cut your electric bill and your carbon footprint. But adopting the sunlight might be the very best thing you can do for your kitchen lighting.
Get the manual: Ecofriendly Kitchen: Lighting Your Kitchen Proper
Alan Mascord Design Associates Inc
4. Flooring. There’s a lot to think about if you would like ecofriendly flooring. Has it been recycled? Salvaged? Is it free of toxins? How can you know? Here’s help picking an ecofriendly kitchen flooring for your home and budget.
Get the manual: Ecofriendly Kitchen: How to Choose Flooring
5. Backsplashes. Today’s recycled tile demonstrates that ecofriendly materials do not need to skimp on design. Here are a few choices for lovely backsplash tile that’s kind to your own kitchen and the ground, too.
Get the manual: Ecofriendly Kitchen: Recycled Tile for Backsplashes
6. Cabinetry. Selecting eco-friendly cabinetry does not only result in a healthier planet — it can help keep your family healthier, too. Find out which toxins to prevent and what labels to look for when shopping for new kitchen cabinetry.
Get the manual: Ecofriendly Kitchen: Healthier Kitchen Cabinets
Mal Corboy Design
7. LED lighting. Using less energy and lasting more than traditional incandescent bulbs, LED bulbs can plug up your kitchen’s lighting strategy and reduce your energy bill.
Get the manual: 12 Ways to Light Your Own Kitchen with LEDs
Ecofriendly Cooking, Cleaning and Living
Having a greener kitchen is not just about purchasing the right items; it’s about making changes in the manner in which you live. All these 10 little tips can make a large difference on your own kitchen and your health in the long term.
Get the manual: 10 Small Kitchen Adjustments to Make Today
Making small changes — whether you start using glass storage containers or growing your own vegetables — can often have more of an influence on the health of the planet and also you than the earth-friendly kitchen remodel.
Get the manual: Ecofriendly Kitchen: 9 Healthier Lifestyle Habits
Lindsey M. Roberts
Sometimes it’s ideal to learn as an example. This lovely Maryland kitchen can show you exactly how good green can look. Get inspiration for your own home from this eco-friendly kitchen.
Get the manual: 9 Ideas In an Ecofriendly Kitchen Makeover